Thursday, April 16, 2015

Emmaus or Jerusalem?

After Jesus was resurrected he met up with a couple of disciples along the road to Emmaus. They were talking about all that had happened in Jerusalem with the torture, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. When Jesus joined him they did not recognize Him and just thought him another traveler along the road. They were walking away from Jerusalem and the power of the resurrection. Once they were made aware of whom it was they were talking to, they immediately returned to Jerusalem.

Discussing this with a group of friends tonight, I was made aware that in my life I had done exactly that at different times. Instead of accepting the power of the cross and the resurrection for exactly what it was, I headed away from it because it was not the kind of salvation I was looking for. I wanted something a bit easier to live with. Somewhere along that road Jesus gently reminded me that I needed to return to Jerusalem and accept the fact that His love for me was enough, and that while working out my salvation might not be always pleasant it was necessary to stay focused on Him

Lord, thank you for meeting me on the road to Emmaus and gently turning me around towards Jerusalem and the beauty of your salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment