Friday, August 28, 2015

Finding my inner leader Part 1

I'm 69, I am past the point where you would expect me to still be asking what I want to do with my life. Or, more importantly, what does God want from me? I am a firm believer in Jeremiah 29:11 where God says "I know the plans I have for you, plans for you to prosper......" So there is a plan and I think it is high time I lived up to it.

I am currently struggling with the difference between what I am doing and what it is I feel I should be doing. In prayerfully looking at this I find myself thinking about what leadership is. When I think of leadership I am tempted to think in terms of the ability to plan, organize and complete projects. I don't feel that I really have a lot of the strengths needed to lead in that way.

There is another way to look at leadership. It can also be about setting about modeling  something in a way that makes other people want to follow. So, if I feel it is important that people learn the value of arriving to Sunday School class on time ready to study, then I must model that behavior so that when I talk about it the response will be positive because they have seen me doing exactly that.

Before I continue talking about how I respond to this understanding I need to make it clear that I do feel called to lead.  And I feel God has given me specific areas in which I can make a difference and fulfill God's plan for my life.  This may be the first time I have ever expressed this in a public way. God has called me to minister and be an influence in three particular area's - prayer, fitness & health and  one to one ministry.

I will continue this in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment